2.12.2006

Matthew 4:18-25 Acts 5:17-42 Psalms 9 Genesis 24

Matthew 4:18-25
Mat 4:18 Walking along the beach of Lake Galilee, Jesus saw two brothers: Simon (later called Peter) and Andrew. They were fishing, throwing their nets into the lake. It was their regular work.
Mat 4:19 Jesus said to them, "Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass."
Mat 4:20 They didn't ask questions, but simply dropped their nets and followed.
Mat 4:21 A short distance down the beach they came upon another pair of brothers, James and John, Zebedee's sons. These two were sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, mending their fishnets. Jesus made the same offer to them,
Mat 4:22 and they were just as quick to follow, abandoning boat and father.
Mat 4:23 From there he went all over Galilee. He used synagogues for meeting places and taught people the truth of God. God's kingdom was his theme--that beginning right now they were under God's government, a good government! He also healed people of their diseases and of the bad effects of their bad lives.
Mat 4:24 Word got around the entire Roman province of Syria. People brought anybody with an ailment, whether mental, emotional, or physical. Jesus healed them, one and all.
Mat 4:25 More and more people came, the momentum gathering. Besides those from Galilee, crowds came from the "Ten Towns" across the lake, others up from Jerusalem and Judea, still others from across the Jordan.

Acts 5:17-42
Act 5:17 Provoked mightily by all this, the Chief Priest and those on his side, mainly the sect of Sadducees, went into action,
Act 5:18 arrested the apostles, and put them in the town jail.
Act 5:19 But during the night an angel of God opened the jailhouse door and led them out.
Act 5:20 He said, "Go to the Temple and take your stand. Tell the people everything there is to say about this Life."
Act 5:21 Promptly obedient, they entered the Temple at daybreak and went on with their teaching. Meanwhile, the Chief Priest and his cronies convened the High Council, Israel's senate, and sent to the jail to have the prisoners brought in.
Act 5:22 When the police got there, they couldn't find them anywhere in the jail. They went back and reported,
Act 5:23 "We found the jail locked tight as a drum and the guards posted at the doors, but when we went inside we didn't find a soul."
Act 5:24 The chief of the Temple police and the high priests were puzzled. "What's going on here anyway?"
Act 5:25 Just then someone showed up and said, "Did you know that the men you put in jail are back in the Temple teaching the people?"
Act 5:26 The chief and his police went and got them, but they handled them gently, fearful that the people would riot and turn on them.
Act 5:27 Bringing them back, they stood them before the High Council. The Chief Priest said,
Act 5:28 "Didn't we give you strict orders not to teach in Jesus' name? And here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are trying your best to blame us for the death of this man."
Act 5:29 Peter and the apostles answered, "It's necessary to obey God rather than men.
Act 5:30 The God of our ancestors raised up Jesus, the One you killed by hanging him on a cross.
Act 5:31 God set him on high at his side, Prince and Savior, to give Israel the gift of a changed life and sins forgiven.
Act 5:32 And we are witnesses to these things. The Holy Spirit, whom God gives to those who obey him, corroborates every detail."
Act 5:33 When they heard that, they were furious and wanted to kill them on the spot.
Act 5:34 But one of the council members stood up, a Pharisee by the name of Gamaliel, a teacher of God's Law who was honored by everyone. He ordered the men taken out of the room for a short time,
Act 5:35 then said, "Fellow Israelites, be careful what you do to these men.
Act 5:36 Not long ago Theudas made something of a splash, claiming to be somebody, and got about four hundred men to join him. He was killed, his followers dispersed, and nothing came of it.
Act 5:37 A little later, at the time of the census, Judas the Galilean appeared and acquired a following. He also fizzled out and the people following him were scattered to the four winds.
Act 5:38 "So I am telling you: Hands off these men! Let them alone. If this program or this work is merely human, it will fall apart,
Act 5:39 but if it is of God, there is nothing you can do about it--and you better not be found fighting against God!"
Act 5:40 That convinced them. They called the apostles back in. After giving them a thorough whipping, they warned them not to speak in Jesus' name and sent them off.
Act 5:41 The apostles went out of the High Council overjoyed because they had been given the honor of being dishonored on account of the Name.
Act 5:42 Every day they were in the Temple and homes, teaching and preaching Christ Jesus, not letting up for a minute.

Psalms 9
Psa 9:1 A David psalm. I'm thanking you, GOD, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders.
Psa 9:2 I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy; I'm singing your song, High God.
Psa 9:3 The day my enemies turned tail and ran, they stumbled on you and fell on their faces.
Psa 9:4 You took over and set everything right; when I needed you, you were there, taking charge.
Psa 9:5 You blow the whistle on godless nations; you throw dirty players out of the game, wipe their names right off the roster.
Psa 9:6 Enemies disappear from the sidelines, their reputation trashed, their names erased from the halls of fame.
Psa 9:7 GOD holds the high center, he sees and sets the world's mess right.
Psa 9:8 He decides what is right for us earthlings, gives people their just deserts.
Psa 9:9 GOD's a safe-house for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times.
Psa 9:10 The moment you arrive, you relax; you're never sorry you knocked.
Psa 9:11 Sing your songs to Zion-dwelling GOD, tell his stories to everyone you meet:
Psa 9:12 How he tracks down killers yet keeps his eye on us, registers every whimper and moan.
Psa 9:13 Be kind to me, GOD; I've been kicked around long enough. Once you've pulled me back from the gates of death,
Psa 9:14 I'll write the book on Hallelujahs; on the corner of Main and First I'll hold a street meeting; I'll be the song leader; we'll fill the air with salvation songs.
Psa 9:15 They're trapped, those godless countries, in the very snares they set, Their feet all tangled in the net they spread.
Psa 9:16 They have no excuse; the way God works is well-known. The cunning machinery made by the wicked has maimed their own hands.
Psa 9:17 The wicked bought a one-way ticket to hell.
Psa 9:18 No longer will the poor be nameless-- no more humiliation for the humble.
Psa 9:19 Up, GOD! Aren't you fed up with their empty strutting? Expose these grand pretensions!
Psa 9:20 Shake them up, GOD! Show them how silly they look.

Genesis 24
Gen 24:1 Abraham was now an old man. GOD had blessed Abraham in every way.
Gen 24:2 Abraham spoke to the senior servant in his household, the one in charge of everything he had, "Put your hand under my thigh
Gen 24:3 and swear by GOD--God of Heaven, God of Earth--that you will not get a wife for my son from among the young women of the Canaanites here,
Gen 24:4 but will go to the land of my birth and get a wife for my son Isaac."
Gen 24:5 The servant answered, "But what if the woman refuses to leave home and come with me? Do I then take your son back to your home country?"
Gen 24:6 Abraham said, "Oh no. Never. By no means are you to take my son back there.
Gen 24:7 GOD, the God of Heaven, took me from the home of my father and from the country of my birth and spoke to me in solemn promise, 'I'm giving this land to your descendants.' This God will send his angel ahead of you to get a wife for my son.
Gen 24:8 And if the woman won't come, you are free from this oath you've sworn to me. But under no circumstances are you to take my son back there."
Gen 24:9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and gave his solemn oath.
Gen 24:10 The servant took ten of his master's camels and, loaded with gifts from his master, traveled to Aram Naharaim and the city of Nahor.
Gen 24:11 Outside the city, he made the camels kneel at a well. It was evening, the time when the women came to draw water.
Gen 24:12 He prayed, "O GOD, God of my master Abraham, make things go smoothly this day; treat my master Abraham well!
Gen 24:13 As I stand here by the spring while the young women of the town come out to get water,
Gen 24:14 let the girl to whom I say, 'Lower your jug and give me a drink,' and who answers, 'Drink, and let me also water your camels'--let her be the woman you have picked out for your servant Isaac. Then I'll know that you're working graciously behind the scenes for my master."
Gen 24:15 It so happened that the words were barely out of his mouth when Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel whose mother was Milcah the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, came out with a water jug on her shoulder.
Gen 24:16 The girl was stunningly beautiful, a pure virgin. She went down to the spring, filled her jug, and came back up.
Gen 24:17 The servant ran to meet her and said, "Please, can I have a sip of water from your jug?"
Gen 24:18 She said, "Certainly, drink!" And she held the jug so that he could drink.
Gen 24:19 When he had satisfied his thirst she said, "I'll get water for your camels, too, until they've drunk their fill."
Gen 24:20 She promptly emptied her jug into the trough and ran back to the well to fill it, and she kept at it until she had watered all the camels.
Gen 24:21 The man watched, silent. Was this GOD's answer? Had GOD made his trip a success or not?
Gen 24:22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man brought out gifts, a gold nose ring weighing a little over a quarter of an ounce and two arm bracelets weighing about four ounces, and gave them to her.
Gen 24:23 He asked her, "Tell me about your family? Whose daughter are you? Is there room in your father's house for us to stay the night?"
Gen 24:24 She said, "I'm the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah and Nahor.
Gen 24:25 And there's plenty of room in our house for you to stay--and lots of straw and feed besides."
Gen 24:26 At this the man bowed in worship before GOD
Gen 24:27 and prayed, "Blessed be GOD, God of my master Abraham: How generous and true you've been to my master; you've held nothing back. You led me right to the door of my master's brother!"
Gen 24:28 And the girl was off and running, telling everyone in her mother's house what had happened.
Gen 24:29 Rebekah had a brother named Laban. Laban ran outside to the man at the spring.
Gen 24:30 He had seen the nose ring and the bracelets on his sister and had heard her say, "The man said this and this and this to me." So he went to the man and there he was, still standing with his camels at the spring.
Gen 24:31 Laban welcomed him: "Come on in, blessed of GOD! Why are you standing out here? I've got the house ready for you; and there's also a place for your camels."
Gen 24:32 So the man went into the house. The camels were unloaded and given straw and feed. Water was brought to bathe the feet of the man and the men with him.
Gen 24:33 Then Laban brought out food. But the man said, "I won't eat until I tell my story." Laban said, "Go ahead; tell us."
Gen 24:34 The servant said, "I'm the servant of Abraham.
Gen 24:35 GOD has blessed my master--he's a great man; GOD has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, servants and maidservants, camels and donkeys.
Gen 24:36 And then to top it off, Sarah, my master's wife, gave him a son in her old age and he has passed everything on to his son.
Gen 24:37 My master made me promise, 'Don't get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites in whose land I live.
Gen 24:38 No, go to my father's home, back to my family, and get a wife for my son there.'
Gen 24:39 I said to my master, 'But what if the woman won't come with me?'
Gen 24:40 He said, 'GOD before whom I've walked faithfully will send his angel with you and he'll make things work out so that you'll bring back a wife for my son from my family, from the house of my father.
Gen 24:41 Then you'll be free from the oath. If you go to my family and they won't give her to you, you will also be free from the oath.'
Gen 24:42 "Well, when I came this very day to the spring, I prayed, 'GOD, God of my master Abraham, make things turn out well in this task I've been given.
Gen 24:43 I'm standing at this well. When a young woman comes here to draw water and I say to her, Please, give me a sip of water from your jug,
Gen 24:44 and she says, Not only will I give you a drink, I'll also water your camels--let that woman be the wife GOD has picked out for my master's son.'
Gen 24:45 "I had barely finished offering this prayer, when Rebekah arrived, her jug on her shoulder. She went to the spring and drew water and I said, 'Please, can I have a drink?'
Gen 24:46 She didn't hesitate. She held out her jug and said, 'Drink; and when you're finished I'll also water your camels.' I drank, and she watered the camels.
Gen 24:47 I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel whose parents were Nahor and Milcah.' I gave her a ring for her nose, bracelets for her arms,
Gen 24:48 and bowed in worship to GOD. I praised GOD, the God of my master Abraham who had led me straight to the door of my master's family to get a wife for his son.
Gen 24:49 "Now, tell me what you are going to do. If you plan to respond with a generous yes, tell me. But if not, tell me plainly so I can figure out what to do next."
Gen 24:50 Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is totally from GOD. We have no say in the matter, either yes or no.
Gen 24:51 Rebekah is yours: Take her and go; let her be the wife of your master's son, as GOD has made plain."
Gen 24:52 When Abraham's servant heard their decision, he bowed in worship before GOD.
Gen 24:53 Then he brought out gifts of silver and gold and clothing and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave expensive gifts to her brother and mother.
Gen 24:54 He and his men had supper and spent the night. But first thing in the morning they were up. He said, "Send me back to my master."
Gen 24:55 Her brother and mother said, "Let the girl stay a while, say another ten days, and then go."
Gen 24:56 He said, "Oh, don't make me wait! GOD has worked everything out so well--send me off to my master."
Gen 24:57 They said, "We'll call the girl; we'll ask her."
Gen 24:58 They called Rebekah and asked her, "Do you want to go with this man?" She said, "I'm ready to go."
Gen 24:59 So they sent them off, their sister Rebekah with her nurse, and Abraham's servant with his men.
Gen 24:60 And they blessed Rebekah saying, You're our sister--live bountifully! And your children, triumphantly!
Gen 24:61 Rebekah and her young maids mounted the camels and followed the man. The servant took Rebekah and set off for home.
Gen 24:62 Isaac was living in the Negev. He had just come back from a visit to Beer Lahai Roi.
Gen 24:63 In the evening he went out into the field; while meditating he looked up and saw camels coming.
Gen 24:64 When Rebekah looked up and saw Isaac, she got down from her camel
Gen 24:65 and asked the servant, "Who is that man out in the field coming toward us?" "That is my master." She took her veil and covered herself.
Gen 24:66 After the servant told Isaac the whole story of the trip,
Gen 24:67 Isaac took Rebekah into the tent of his mother Sarah. He married Rebekah and she became his wife and he loved her. So Isaac found comfort after his mother's death.

No comments: